The Nave


 

Window over the west door of the Nave.
"In Memoriam
Andrew James Haggart
Nov 15, 1845     Aug 26, 1912"
window fabricated by Sawyer and Flintoff, Inc., of New York


Icon of St. Paul the Apostle, Patron of the Parish,
by the hand of a Nun of New Skete, 2005
 



As Baptism is the Sacrament by which Christians enter into membership in the Church, the Font now stands at the west end of the nave, near the main entrance into St. Paul's Church.  This photograph shows the Font after it was moved here from the north transept.  The sides of the Font are carved with various symbols of the Christian Faith.

 


The inscription on the top of the Font reads:  "One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism".
 


Noah's Ark
 


 

 

 

 


In Christian iconography, the Anchor is a symbol of hope.
 


The lily is a symbol of the Blessed Virgin Mary who, as Mother of Jesus Christ, represents the Church, which is the mother of all Christians.

 

During the rectorate of the Reverend Harris C. Rush (1890-1901), five of the nave windows, previously filled with plain leaded glass, were replaced with windows by the Tiffany company.

 


"The Children's Offering"

"Frances Amelia Hance Houghton
Died May 9, 1893
Aged 36 Years"
[wife of Fr. Houghton, died in Colorado]

"Saint Frances' Guild"

 

Window given in memory of Gertrude White Houghton, daughter of the Rector, who died at the age of 19 months.

Virtual Tour
Return     Proceed

Return to Photo Gallery

Home    Services    Directions    Contact Us    News    Music    Photo Gallery    History    Staff    Links